The environment's voice in Wangaratta & surrounds.
Passionate volunteers who support projects and activities that care for the environment that sustains us.
Latest News & Events
What We Do - WLS Themes
We support and facilitate projects that contribute to the natural environment.
- Protecting existing natural remnant vegetation and encouraging native plant species regeneration on public and private land.
- Reducing invasive weeds and supporting native plant species regeneration on public land in natural areas and along waterways including Kaluna Park, Kaluna Island, Wenham’s Reserve and Mullinmur Billabong.
- Promoting biodiversity conservation.
- Mullinmur Billabongs restoration.
- Promoting Native fish conservation and carp removal.
- Clean up and protection of roadsides, waterways, and catchment by encouraging rubbish removal and water monitoring.
We focus our attention on:
- Sustainable food.
- Waste minimisation & recycling.
- Sustainable, energy efficient living and housing.
Tackling Climate Change
Working towards and advocating for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation.
- Reduce local energy consumption and emissions.
- Advocate for actions to reduce livestock emissions and reducing the food chain carbon foot print.
- Encourage installation of solar panels.
- Make and use renewable energy locally.
- Active removal of greenhouse gases from atmosphere by sustainable land use.
- Drawing down carbon and adapting to changing climate by native tree planting for greening parks and corridors.
- Preserving biodiversity by retention and enhancement of native habitat and planting appropriate native plants species.
Community Engagement, Education and Advocacy
- Bpangerang recognition.
- Mullinmur Education Hub.
- Provide local wildlife and natural environment information, including guided walks.
- Sustainability Matters – newspaper articles on local actions which can enhance sustainability.
- Sustainable Hallmark Forums: Community forums, information displays and activities.
- Community forums, information displays and activities.
Mullinmur Education Hub
Empowering Wangaratta in a Changing Climate
Get up to $6,000 to help put a solar system and a battery on your place.
Closing before the end of 2022.
Clean Up Wangaratta
About Wangaratta Landcare and Sustainability Inc
We are committed to helping our local community value our natural resources. We encourage knowledge and resource sharing to find solutions and achieve practical outcomes.
Wangaratta Landcare and Sustainability Inc. (WLS) is the result of an integration of the Wangaratta Urban Landcare Group and Wangaratta Sustainability Network. WLSI networks with other Landcare and Sustainability groups in our region.
Our 2024 Committee
President: Tony Lane
Vice President: Mary Reid
Secretary: Ann Brain,
Treasurer: Tracey Spiers
Membership: Colin Atkin
Committee: Ian Davidson, Clare Grogan, Andy Kimber, John Naylor, Claire Russell, Russell Sully, Helen Twitt.
Landcare Coordinator: Kerrie Warburton
New Members Welcome Team
Clare Grogan, Mary Reid